Factors which culminated into establishment of the Organization: –
It is a known fact that before the Islamic Revolution in Iran, Islamic World was facing innumerable challenges and its general scenario was extremely deplorable. World arrogant and oppressive powers were fully exploiting the Muslim Ummah. The identity of Islam and Muslims had been distorted and defaced with organized conspiracy. Their design to divide the Islamic World into fragments was obvious to the intelligentsia. It was observed that the enemies of Islam hatched their manifold evil conspiracies largely on the following strategies:
- That Muslim clerics were brain washed to believe that religion has nothing to do with politics and political system and they had succeeded to a large extend to keep the clergy away from state’s affairs, legislation and administrative matters. They were confined to mosques and interpretation of theology. Consequently the concept of Islamic politics faded away from the minds of Muslims and the field was left open for the devil forces to reign over affairs of the Islamic World.
- The different schools of thoughts among Muslims were instigated to highlight the differences and sowed seed of hatred among them. This conspiracy succeeded a lot and the Muslim Ummah forgot its common enemy and wasted its might and strength in mutual conflicts.
In such a suffocating atmosphere, the Almighty Allah bestowed the Ummah with a dynamic leader in the glowing personality of (Ruhullah Mosavi Khumeni) who is now recognized as a Mujaddid (super reformer) of the twentieth century in the Islamic World.
This pious man with his firm belief in Allah and following the Prophet (p.b.h.u.) and Vice-regent Imams(AS) and by his spiritual might gave a wakeup call to the Muslims in deep slumber and jolted the castles of despotic forces. He delivered the message of Imam Hussain (AS) in such a way that the contemporary Yazids saw their death approaching them. He not only liberated the Muslims from the clutches of tyranny but also inspired the oppressed of the world to rise against the oppressors and throw out the age-old chains of slavery and oppression from Islam and Muslim Ummah. He inspired the Muslims of Iran and led them to the right direction. He, apart from achieving the set goals of Islamic Revolution, established a firm Islamic Democratic Government thereby restored the lost glory of Islam with dignity.
The people of Kargil were fan and admirer of Imam Khomeini even before the Islamic Revolution. It was therefore, naturally, during the period of struggle for Islamic Revolution in Iran, they had been sharing the moments of sufferings and joys with the revolutionary and vigilant people of Iran, who, following their leader (Imam) were sacrificing their lives and belongings. It was this love and affection that after the success of the Islamic Revolution and establishment of powerful Islamic government, apart from Iranian organizations like “Union Of Iranian Students Islamic Association” individuals like Ayatullah Gulsurkhi and Ayatullah Salehi and Iranian Ambassador to India Syed Hassan Asadi Lari visited Kargil.
On the 4th June 1989 AD Imam Khomaini (RA) departed this mortal world, which was not only a great tragedy for the Iranians but also for the entire Islamic World. When the news reached Kargil all markets and establishments were spontaneously down. Every nook and corner of Kargil mourned the demise. Public institution, Imambargahs and Mosques wore black banners. Mourning processions of Imam started to gather in the Town of Kargil from far and near. Feeling the mass emotions, the youth of Kargil in order to have a well-coordinated arrangements of the processions, constituted an adhoc committee. Majalis-e- Tarhim, azadari and recital of Holy Quran was observed continuously for 40 days and nights within a huge pendal erected in the heart of Kargil Town. These mega gatherings proved to be a milestone in the history of Kargil. Beside common man large number of Ulema participated in it. The ulema and scholars explained in detail the personality of Imam Khomieni and threw light on various aspects of the struggle for Islamic Revolution during these days.
People form every walks of life participated in these gatherings. Some were joining out of curiosity and some, suffering from confusion and doubts, created in their mind by the western anti Islamic propaganda of the Media. Due to their participation in the gatherings they obtained factual knowledge regarding Imam Khomieni (RA) and the Islamic Revolution. Their confusion and doubts were removed from interactions. These gathering left an everlasting impression on the masses of Kargil.
Acknowledge the sincere feelings of the people of Kargil, the Ambassador of Islamic Republic of Iran in India Aqai Ibrahim Rahimpur made it point to personally attend the (Marasim-e-chelum) of the Imam at the end of the 40 days majlis-e-tarheem. This gesture on the part of the Iranian brethren not only encouraged the people of Kargil, particularly the youth of Kargil, but it also strengthened the relationship with the Islamic Revolution. This relationships being founded on deep faith and iman remained firm in the years to come and consequently special delegations of Islamic Republic of Iran make it a point to visit Kargil .
At the end of the historic 40 day long gatherings the general public particularly the youth strongly felt that the organizing committee should take an initiative for keeping the precious principles and values set by the late Imam Khomieni alive and particularly his last will emphasizing the unity of Muslim Umah and helping the cause of oppressed and down trodden people of the world. Accordingly the said committee called a meeting of Muslim youth of the District at a place called Titichumik in the vicinity of Kargil Town where in about five hundred youth gathered and discussed at length the ways to institutionalize the footsteps set by late Imam Khomieni. At the end of the meeting it was unanimously decided to establish an organization at Distt H/Q Kargil under the name and style of Imam Khomieni Memorial Trust Kargil. The aims and objectives were finalized and an adhoc executive body of the trust was established with formal resolution signed by those present. In this way the IKMT (Imam Khomeini Memorial Trust) came into existence and its functionaries took the task envisaged to them.
During the initial period they had a tough time to maintain the Trust’s existence. But the following years by the Grace of Almighty, blessing of Imam-e- Zaman (AS) and under the spiritual inspirations of Imam Khomeini (RA), the Trust over came all hurdles and with firm commitment is progressing forward towards its goals with success.
Aims and Objectives:-
The Constitution and Bylaws of the Trust highlighting its aims and objectives stands already published in the shape of a booklet. The said constitution, in the course of time, underwent a series of necessary amendments. It is now perfected and executed in the day to day working with great stability and consistency with the blessings of Masoomeen (AS) and inspiration derived from great leadership of Supreme Leader Grand Ayatullah Syed Ali Hussaini Khamenai ( Valie Amre Muslimeen).
Imam Khomeini Memorial Trust has set its aims and objective and is striving for their achievement. Some of its main objectives is enumerated hereunder:-
1) IKMT will be a welfare as well as a religious organization.
2) It would follow the shariah of Prophet Mohammad (SAWS) in all its functionings.
3) As mentioned in the basis of establishment the Trust believe in the Islamic movement initiated by late Imam Khomieni(RA) and deem it self the out come of Islamic Revolution initiated by him. It will continue to take inspiration from the teachings of Imam Khomieni (RA). It also deems Imam Zamana `the 12th Imam(AS) `as its true spiritual patron.
4) The Trust shall render its welfare services to the humanity without discrimination of cast, creed, gender, religion, region and any other prejudice.
- i) Its welfare services shall include dissemination of knowledge and education, Islamic teachings and ethic, reforms in social customs, elimination of un Islamic traditions, inculcate brotherhood and mutual sympathy, unity and synergy of religio-political thinking among urban and rural masses, revive Islamic culture and values, revive regional and national identity, to create physical as well as ideological strength with capabilities and to safeguard them.
- ii) Keeping in view of the backwardness and poverty of the region the Trust will strive to generate employment opportunities and for this purpose, it will strive to open centers of capability and skill development.
iii) Steps will be taken to eradicate illiteracy and educational backwardness.
- iv) For orphans and destitute free education shall be arranged and educational institutions shall be approached for reformations required.
5) Days of importance for Islamic World like World Quds Day, Islamic Unity Week, Ya-u-mullah (The Day of Allah) and Death anniversary of Imam Khomeini (RA) shall be observed with due reverence.
6) It will also strive to preserve important cultural heritage values for posterity.
7) The organization will undertake any activity beneficial to the public.
In order to accomplish the above welfare services in addition to membership fee it will approach donors from charitable organizations and individuals within the country and aboard.
Structure of Executives:
- Imam Khomeini Memorial Trust will be independent in execution of its functions as per bylaws and aims and objectives of the Trust. The functionaries duly elected as per constitution of the Trust shall be bound to work without influence or high handedness of any individual. As the Trust is based on Islamic principles its functionaries have to work for human welfare with a human heart, with out prejudice of race or religion. For the purpose of development and welfare works it treats the youth of District Kargil as well as of whole Ladkah region at par with basic members of the Trust and with in the framework of constitution of the Trust they shall have all the rights to comment and criticize the matters of such nature.
For purpose of eligibility of voter it would be mandatory to get a members name figure in the membership register. Mere filling of Membership form would not entitle right to vote in the Trust’s main or subordinate executive bodies/ institutions.
- There shall be a Guardian Council comprising of 07 members nominated jointly by the Chief Patron and the Chairman of the Organization. Out of these, 4 will essentially be of top ranking Rohani (clergy) experienced, dedicated and well versed in religious and political affairs. Other 03 members would be non Rouhani experts having excellence in character, judicious and abreast of political and administrative matters. The terms of office of Guardian Council will be of 05 years.
Duties & Responsibilities of Guardian Council:-
- a) To fix appropriate candidature for executive body.
- b) To frame electoral rules, regulate and conduct free & fair election of executive body.
- c) To conduct general body meeting for electing executive body of the Trust.
- d) To supervise the functioning of executive body.
- e) It can call upon the chairman or members of executive body to explain his/their position if their conduct remains against or contrary to the constitution and bylaws of the Trust. It shall expel or take punitive measures if proven guilty.
- f) It can dissolve the executive Body and conduct Bi-Elections.
The general body of the IKMT will constitute of every member whose name is entered in the membership register of the Trust and who has paid membership dues.
Duties/Responsibilities of General Body.
- a) To elect members to the executive body of the Trust out of the candidates indicated by Guardian Council with majority.
- b) To vote for any deletion, insertion, amendment or changes to the constitution of the Trust put forth by Executive
- c) To vote without fear, influence or personal motives during election purely for the interest of the Trust.
- A) There will be an executive body of IKMT to carry out the day-to-day affairs of the Trust. It shall be the supreme decision making body of the Trust. It will, besides routine administration, be responsible for religious, political, cultural, educational and other related affairs as per aims and objectives. The executive body will be vested with all financial and administrative powers of the Trust.
- B) Any kind of insertion, deletion, amendments or changes to the constitution of the organization shall be brought in by the executive body only.
- c) The executive committee/body shall consists of the following 08 members:-
Chief Patron, Chairman, Vice Chairman Religion Affairs, Vice Chairman Political Affairs, General Secretary, Joint Secretary, Chief Organizer & Treasurer.
- c) The Chief Patron and Chairman shall necessarily be from the clergy and shall be individual of character, active, judicious, prompt and abreast with contemporary political and administrative affairs.
- d) The term of office of executive body will be of 03 years. The Guardian Council shall conduct the election after every 3 years.
5a) Some of major achievements of Imam Khomeini Memorial Trust enlisted below:
- Its achievements in the field of modern education and health sector is summarized at appropriate sub heads as Mutahhary Educational Society and Baqirya Health Care & Research Centre.
- The organization has established Jamiae Zahra at Minji (Islamic Theology Centre) for girls. It is functioning satisfactorily despite of all barriers. 70 students are on roll with 06 staff members in this theological centre. Transportation and lunch is provided free of cost to the students.
Baqirya Health Care and Research Centre
Kargil (Doctors, Engineers, Teachers and other professionals) associated with Imam Khomeini Memorial Trust, Kargil formed an organisation called Baqirya Health Care and Research Centre Kargil to provide free medical consultation, conducting free medical camps in far flung areas, conducting medical awareness program and to help government organisations in implementing various National Health volunteers and the team of specialist doctors visits remote areas of the district which remains cut off from the main town. During summer months the camps are conducted once a month on priority basis in order to help the most needy ones. Main aims and objectives of such medical camps being:
- a) to treat acute illnesses on the spot by providing free medicines.
- b) to screen chronic and complicated diseases for making referral to tertiary care hospitals.
- c) to investigate different diseases by providing free laboratory services.
- d) to provide health and nutritional education to all the participants.
So far the organization has conducted many health camps in remote rural areas of the district .Its detail is as follows:
Programs. The Organisation will also conduct seminars, workshops and conferences on various health issues in collaboration with national and international health, institutions and organisations.
Baqirya Health Care and Research Centre Kargil is an apolitical organisation formed to extend health services to all needy people without any discrimination of cast creed or faith as per its aims and objectives. The organisation is registered with Registrar of Societies, J&K (India). It has an executive body of 22 members body’s with the following structure:
President, Vice President, General secretary, Joint Secretary, Joint secretary, Project Coordinator, 05 Assistant Project Coordinators, Chief Organisor, 02 Organisors, Accountant, Cashier and 03 Advisors.
Activities of Baqiriya Health Care & Research Centre
- Free Medical Consultation (OPD Services): Specialised free medical outdoor facility is being provided by BHC&RC at Baqiria Building at Bemathang Kargil located at a distance of 1.5 km from the main Town. The centre remains open on all Sundays from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. So far more than 15,000 patients have been treated including migrant population like labourers from Nepal, Bihar and other parts of the country besides the locals. It provides multi-speciality OPD services in the field of General Medicine, Gynae-Obst., Orthopaedics, paediatrics, ophthalmology and ENT. Deserving patients are being provided free medicines in addition to the consultations.
- Free Medical Camps in Remote Areas of the District: The
- Special Medical Camps at flood affected areas of Shaker Chikten:
In August, 2009 among other areas of Ladakh Region Shaker Chikten Block of Kargil District was severely affected by flash flood. Most of the medical centres of the area were either fully or partially damaged by flood. Environment depletion and use of contaminated water had caused break out of diseases like “Conjunctivitis, Corneal Ulcer, Uvities, Upper Respiratory Tract Infection & Gastro entities and etc” people were running helter and skelter for doctor and medical treatment. Sensing gravity of the issue and urgency of the hour, Baqiriya Health Care & Research Centre, Kargil rose to the occasion and rushed two teams of doctors alongwith paramedics and volunteers with medicine and necessary equipments to Shaker-Shaker Rong, Samrah and Hagnis areas of the region. Both the teams provided free treatment to hundreds of affected people of the region and distributed free medicine to the affected people.
- Health Awareness Activities : The organisation also conducted various other activities which includes seminars, workshops, symposia and health melas.
A seminar on Hepatitis B, a disease emerging as a major health threat in Kargil. Baqirya Health Care & Research Centre seizing the opportunity to make the people aware of this dreaded disease conducted a seminar in the heart of the Town. The seminar was attended by thousands of people including college & school students, employees of different cadres & socio-political leaders. Specialist Doctors of different disciplines delivered lectures regarding the disease, its transmission, treatment & long term complications. Pamphlets & leaflets were distributed among the participants.
- Baqirya Clinical Laboratory: A clinical laboratory was setup in the year 2008 which got registered with the state Govt. of J&K. The laboratory was upgraded and fully equipped with different investigative tools including a multi channel automatic bio chemical analyser and a Swedish card reader machine specially made for sugar test. The laboratory is located at Bemathang in Baqiriya Building with a collection centre at hospital road Kargil. More than 2700 patients have been tested so far with nominal charges from the patients and free tests have also been done for the poor /needy patients.
Aims and objectives for establishing the lab:
- a) To provide lab backup to BHC&RC Kargil.
- b) To perform all Haematological, Bio Chemical and routine tests of all the patient of the district irrespective of their consultation at BHC&RC or any other place at an affordable rate of 30% to 40% less than the prevailing market rate and free lab. services to needy and poor patients.
Total No. of patients consulted in medical camps: 23665.